Privacy and Security
Queensland Government Safeguards
Queensland has privacy legislation which applies to the Queensland public sector—the Information Privacy Act 2009 (IPA Act). The IP Act contains privacy principles which set out how agencies must handle personal information. Personal information means any information about an identifiable person.
PRIVACY AND SECURITY STATEMENT
The Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art ("Gallery") is committed to protecting the privacy of its service users, including users of this website. We understand and appreciate that our visitors, supporters and wider client group are concerned about their privacy and the conﬁdentiality and security of information that they provide to us. The Gallery will only use the personal information we collect for lawful purposes, consistent with this Privacy Statement and the purposes for which it was given.
How personal information is collected
The Gallery collects personal information in a variety of different ways depending on the type of contact that is made with the Gallery. The following are examples of how personal information you choose to give us may be collected by the Gallery. Your name and address will not be added to a mailing list unless you:
- Subscribe to the Gallery's eNews services via the website, online games, in-Gallery computer terminal, physical form or other means.
- Become a QAGOMA Member.
- Make an individual donation or becoming a Foundation Member.
- Become a sponsor.
- Enter your details as part of a Kids game.
- Purchase an exhibition ticket either at the Gallery or through QTIX.
- Submit an entry to a Gallery competition.
- Provide written feedback to the Gallery.
- Register for a Gallery event over the phone, in person or by electronic correspondence.
- By applying for a scholarship or award.
Why personal information is collected
The Gallery collects personal information in order to help us develop and deliver responsive services, such as:
- If you opt-in to become a Gallery eNews subscriber (including Artmail, Cinemail, Storemail and Membermail) you are giving us permission to send you information about upcoming exhibitions and other programs and services offered by the Gallery and its partners
- Sending you information about our upcoming exhibitions and other programs and services.
- Notifying changes of exhibition or service details.
- Distributing exhibition tickets.
- Marketing upcoming exhibitions and online services and conducting market research.
- Notifying you of services or product discounts offered by other organisations such as other arts organisations, sponsors, government departments.
All details are kept secure at all times and any individual may request their information is not sued for direct marketing, research or any other purpose.
SECURITY AND DISCLOSURE
All personal information is kept secure at all times to protect your data from loss, unauthorized access, use, modification or disclosure. We will not share your personal information with other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless:
The Gallery uses external contractors for advertising, market research and mailing. Any such contractors are required to comply with the same standards as the Gallery under the Information Privacy Act.
- You have consented
- You would expect us to or we have told you we will
- It is required or authorised by law
- It will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to someone's life or health
Where the Gallery uses external contractors for advertising, market research and mailing, these contractors are required to comply with the same standards as the Gallery. You may request your information not be used for direct marketing, research or any other purpose.
EMAIL, WEBSITE, BLOG AND SOCIAL MEDIA
This is a Queensland Government website. Email correspondence, blog comments and information provided via webforms can constitute a public record and can be retained as required by the Public Records Act 2002 and other relevant legislation. Email messages may be monitored by our network support staff for system troubleshooting and maintenance purposes.
The Gallery website contains links to other sites. The Gallery is not responsible for the content and privacy practices of other websites. The Gallery reserves the right to remove comments which it considers to be abusive, defamatory, discriminatory, off-topic, or unlawful.
Security of online financial transactions
When you make a payment or purchase through the website your ﬁnancial details are processed through SecurePay, a wholly owned business of Australia Post. All your details are transmitted securely using a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). Your credit card details are NOT stored on our servers at any stage of the transaction, and once the credit card details have been sent to our ﬁnancial institution they are no longer known to our system.
Online collection non-personal information
When you look at this website, we and/or our contractors make a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes only, e.g. the server address, the top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, etc), the date and time of the visit to the site, the pages accessed and documents downloaded, the previous site visited, and the type of browser used. Session variables may be used to enhance visitor browsing experience.
No attempt is, or will be, made to identify an individual's browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect activity logs.
The provision of all personal information is voluntary, but if that information is not provided the Gallery may not be able to provide you with the products or services requested. At any time you have the right to access, change or correct your personal information.
While the Gallery is committed to ensuring all personal information it collects is accurate, complete and up-to-date, the accuracy of this personal information to a large extent depends on the information you provide.
Please advise us if you become aware of any errors in your personal information or changes to your personal details, such as address, email address and phone number.
To make a request or enquiry contact:
The Privacy Officer
Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art
PO Box 3686
South Brisbane QLD 4101
T: +61 (0)7 3840 7288