Ukradená vzducholoď (The Stolen Airship) 1966 All Ages
6.00pm, Wed 22 Mar 2023 (90 mins)
Gallery of Modern Art & Cinema A
- Wheelchair Accessible
The legendary Czech filmmaker Karel Zeman delivers a delightfully inventive rendering of the world of Jules Verne with this wondrous adventure film. Employing an elaborate blend of live action, stop motion and hand-drawn animation, Zeman's dazzling style is a clear influence on the works of Terry Gilliam, Jan Švankmajer and Tim Burton.
When five boys commander a marvellous airship being exhibited at the 1891 World's Fair in Prague, they find themselves on an incredible adventure that takes them through the skies and even to the depths of the ocean for a run-in with Captain Nemo. All the while, an unsrcupulous spy is on the prowl, having been tasked with discovering the formula of the secret gas that fills the zeppelin-esque airship.
This screening will mark the Australian premiere of the new digital restoration of The Stolen Airship.
- Director: Karel Zeman
- Script: Radovan Krátky, Karel Zeman
- Based on: the novels ‘Two Years’ Vacation’ and ‘The Mysterious Island’ by Jules Verne
- Cinematographers: Josef Novotný, Bronislau Pikhart
- Editor: Jan Chaloupek
- Print Source: Karel Zeman Museum
- Rights: Karel Zeman Museum
- Shooting Format: 35mm
- Screening Format: 2K DCP
- Year: 1966
- Runtime: 90 minutes
- Countries: Czechoslovakia, Italy
- Languages: Czech, with English subtitles
- Colour: Colour, Black and White