Gregory Dausi Moah
Born 1911 Gagan, Buka District, Autonomous Region of Bougainville
Died 1988 Gagan, Autonomous Region of Bougainville
Lived and worked in
Gagan, Autonomous Region of Bougainville
Gregory Dausi Moah was a Naboin man who lived in the village of Mokinaka. A self-taught artist, he was inspired by his traditional elders and an exposure to new mediums of expression via the nuns and priests of the Gagan mission. He was the lead artist commissioned to build and decorate the local church and priest’s residence. During the 1960s and early 1970s, Moah served on the Hutjena Local Government Council (1964–72), established his own plantation business, and was commissioned by the Bougainville Provincial Government to lead a group of men to carve totemic poles for the Aropa International Airport. In 1972, Moah was invested as a chief of his clan’s Tsuhana (clan house). Encouraged by Father Lukan, Moah built an innovative new Tsuhana decorated extensively with impressive paintings and carvings memorialising significant ancestor figures and clan stories.