VIDA LAHEY MEMORIAL TRAVELLING SCHOLARSHIP
SELECTION REQUIREMENTS AND CRITERIA
Applications for the 2018 Vida Lahey Memorial Travelling Scholarship are now open. We invite all artists and scholars meeting the selection criteria to apply.
Applications close on Friday 7 December 2018.
2018 Applicant Requirements
Applicants must be:
- Over the age of 18
- Australian citizens or permanent residents
- Emerging artists who have completed visual arts studies at a recognised tertiary institution or graduates of art history studies at a recognised tertiary institution
- Able to demonstrate a sound understanding of Australian art history or contemporary art practice
- Able to show that a self-researched program of travel will further the development of their art practice or research
- Able to show that their program of travel will make a contribution to an understanding of Australian art.
To apply, you must provide:
- The names and contact details of two referees in a relevant field who may be contacted by the Gallery when assessing your application
- A current CV in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), RTF or PDF format (max. 2 pages)
- A detailed travel itinerary and budget for research to be conducted with scholarship funding, in Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), Microsoft Excel (.xls or .xlsx) RTF or PDF format (max. 3 pages)
- A personal statement specifically demonstrating how your travel itinerary and budget will further your practice or research and contribute to a broader understanding of Australian art (max. 1 page)
- The public URL of supporting material, in the form of one or a combination of the following formats: images (10 max.); video (10 minutes max.); writing samples (1500 words max.). Supporting material should be no larger than 200MB in total, saved on a shared drive such as Dropbox, Google Drive or YouSendIt. Ensure these are clearly titled. NB: Please contact the QAGOMA Foundation (details below) if you would like to provide supplementary material in another format or through another file-sharing platform.
The scholarship recipient is required to:
- Expend monies received through the scholarship in the way outlined in the application unless prior written permission to make an alteration to the budget has been provided by the QAGOMA Foundation.
- Complete their travel within twelve (12) months of the announcement of the award.
- Provide an interim report within the first six (6) months of the announcement of the award. Guidelines will be provided electronically by the QAGOMA Foundation.
- Provide a detailed final report including proof of travel and full budget acquittal within two (2) months of completion. Guidelines will be provided electronically by the QAGOMA Foundation.
- Agree to acknowledge the support received through the Vida Lahey Memorial Travelling Scholarship in any media and publications resulting from projects undertaken during travel supported by scholarship funds
- Agree to participate in media events and public programs, and contribute on media platforms relevant to the award.
The successful applicant will be asked to grant permission for their work to be reproduced in media, news and QAGOMA sites following the announcement of the winner. They may also be asked to grant a limited licence for reproduction of work resulting from projects undertaken during the scholarship for promotion of QAGOMA and/or the QAGOMA Foundation.
Selection and Fund Distribution Process
Applicants who are Queensland-based or who have resided in Queensland for an extended period of time are preferred. Scholarship monies will be paid to the successful applicant via bank transfer in Australian dollars. Successful scholarship recipients must have an Australian bank account with bank transfer facilities.
The Vida Lahey Memorial Travelling Scholarship is administered and coordinated by the QAGOMA Foundation. For further enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact (07) 3840 7262.