South Brisbane Town Hall and ‘Cumbooquepa’, Somerville House c.1914
Lloyd Rees | South Brisbane Town Hall and ‘Cumbooquepa’, Somerville House c.1914 | Pencil on paper | Proposed gift of Alan and Jan Rees through the Queensland Art Gallery Foundation | © Lloyd Rees, c.1914. Licensed by Viscopy, Sydney, 2011
Both of these buildings now belong to Somerville House, the noted girls’ school in South Brisbane. Built by William Stephens, the first mayor of South Brisbane, ‘Cumbooquepa’ was purchased in 1919 after what was then the Brisbane High School for Girls – later named after the British scientific writer Mary Somerville (1780–1872) – grew too big for its premises on Wickham Terrace. The South Brisbane Town Hall was purchased by the school in 1999.